2021 WSD Song of the Year
We haven’t yet decided on this year’s Song of the Year but when we do, we’ll be inviting you all to submit videos of you singing the song. We aim to decide on the Song of the Year by April 1, 2021.
In the meantime, here is the process of submitting videos when the time comes (this is a sample of last year’s song):
Submit your video from May 1 through October 16.
The closer you follow these tips, the better chance your video will make the final cut.
- Music: Watch this video with the lyrics, or download the free music track here.
Practice singing the song a few times. Match the phrasing the best you can. It doesn’t have to be perfect. NOTE: If parts of the melody are not in your range, it’s OK to change octaves or come up with your own part.
- Location: Find a quiet place (no fans or car noises) with good lighting, outside or inside. The main light source should be in front of you (natural lighting is best) and the background should be free of signs and other distractions.
- Recording Equipment: Use the best smart phone you have for the best film/sound quality.
If you are recording outside, you will need 2 smart phones – one to film you singing, and the other with earphones to sing along to the video or music track.
If you are recording inside, you can use your earphones with your laptop or desktop computer (or a second phone) to sing along to the video or music track.
- Filming: If you have a friend who can film you singing, ask them to hold the phone horizontally, and capture you from the chest up to above your head, with nature in the background if possible.
If you are by yourself, put the phone’s camera on video and selfie mode. Hold the phone steady in horizontal position (or use a tripod if you have one). Make sure your whole head, from the chest up, is in the frame. Use the other phone with earbuds to sing along to the music. You can also sing along to the video as you read the lyrics on your computer and use your computer’s web camera to film yourself.
Do a practice recording for a few seconds to ensure that the camera is filming correctly.
When filming, only your singing should be heard (that’s why earphones are needed). It can be helpful to use only one earphone in an ear so you can hear the track and still hear yourself.
- Engage: When you’re ready to film, have fun and smile! Remember to sing loud enough to be heard and with an engaging attitude. We are not looking for perfection, just people having fun singing.
- Upload your video: Send your video directly from your phone or computer using this form by October 16, 2021.
Thank you so much for being a part of World Singing Day.
We’ll have a video with the lyrics like this video from last year:
Sample of what a WSD global montage video looks like:
World Singing Day is a global sing-along held annually on the 3rd Saturday in October.
Be a part of something big by donating to World Singing Day. This event is completely free to all. Now in its 9th year, many people worldwide give months of their time and expertise to prepare and coordinate this global event. Help us reach more people in more cities and countries and continue the WSD mission by donating here.