Around the World in 80 Songs
We are seeking video submissions from you or groups (e.g. family members, housemates, or people who can safely sing together) for our “Around the World in 80 Songs” global video project. We’re looking to receive short videos of 30 seconds or less from people in all 24+ time zones around the globe of one of your favorite songs or a song that has cultural significance to you. We will be releasing individual videos on social media starting September 17 and then each day leading up to World Singing Day (October 17).
Submit your video by October 1, 2020.
The closer you follow these tips, the better chance your video will be included.
- Song: Sing whatever song you’d like but keep it under 30 seconds (for example you can sing just the chorus). It can be in any style, from classical or country, to barbershop, rap, or rock. It can be a favorite song of yours, or a song that has cultural significance to those in your region of the world (but not political, nationalistic, or religious). You can sing along to the music or to your own instruments, or sing it a cappella.
- Location: Find a quiet place (for example no fans or car noises) with good lighting, outside or inside. The main light source should be in front of you (natural lighting is best). It’s great if you can film it somewhere with a background that shows where you are in the world (an iconic landmark, by the ocean, or in the mountains, for example).
- Recording Equipment: Use the best smart phone you have for the best film/sound quality. You can sing along to music played from a laptop, desktop computer, or a second phone.
- Filming: Film in landscape mode (hold the phone horizontally) and capture yourselves from the chest up to above your head.
- Engage: When you’re ready to film, sing loud enough to be heard and with an engaging attitude. The best videos are often more spontaneous and playful where you can tell the people singing are enjoying themselves. Have fun with it. We’re looking for joy and passion, not serious perfection.
- Upload your video: Send your video directly from your phone or computer using this form by October 1, 2020.
Thank you for being a part of World Singing Day!
World Singing Day is a global sing-along held annually on the 3rd Saturday in October.
Be a part of something big by donating to World Singing Day. This event is completely free to all. Now in its 12th year, many people worldwide give months of their time and expertise to prepare and coordinate this global event. Help us reach more people in more cities and countries by donating here.