By Scott Johnson
What makes a great sing-along song? Why are some songs sung year after year for decades around the world?
The songs in the list below of the best 10 sing-along songs in English tend to have some common themes and characteristics.
They are mainly mid-tempo (not too slow or too fast), are in a major key, have repetitive choruses, have lyrics and melodies that are easy to sing, and have themes that deal with love, hope, acceptance, and support during hard times. They are hit songs that many people know around the world (especially in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand) from artists who are known globally.
Here’s my list of the 10 Best Sing-Along Songs in English:
10. Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffett)
9. That’s Amore (Dean Martin)
8. Stand By Me (Ben E. King)
7. Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
6. I Love Rock ’N Roll (Joan Jett)
5. I’m A Believer (Neil Diamond/Smash Mouth)
4. Let It Be (Beatles)
3. What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)
2. Hey Jude (Beatles)
1. Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond)
Tell us your favorite sing-along songs in English, in other languages, and in other parts of the world.
Scott Johnson is the founder and Executive Director of World Singing Day, the annual singing event for everyone that brings people together around the world to sing and celebrate our common humanity.